The brand new BMW R 1200 GS 2012-10-11 - Modelyear 2013 liquid cooled
The new BMW R 1200 GS
is not only a simple advancement of the 12GS in this sense. This motorcycle is an entirely new model, but with the typical characteristics of the GS-Series. Furthermore, the BMW R 1200 GS is still a perfect travel and touring motorcycle, which will cope with every driving and road conditions.
An interesting thing is of course the implementation of the cooling. The engineers focused here on an air and water cooling with the proven boxer engine. Alternatively is used no engine oil, but a glycol-water mixture. The positive feature is the better heat dissipation. The basis is still the classical air cooling. The inconspicuous water cooler works on the principle of precision cooling, which cools particular predominantly thermally loaded regions. The through flow takes place vertically to ensure a better fill.
The six-speed gearbox and the wet clutch with anti-hopping function are integrated in the engine case. The cardan shaft with secondary drive is attached to the left side. In terms of performance, the BMW R 1200 GS is in the range of 92 kW (125 hp) at 7700 min-1 and 125 Nm at 6500 min-1 at a empty weight of 238 kg, including ABS.
A new feature of the GS system is the E-gas and cruise control, in which the action at the accelerator twist grip is connected directly to the motor control system and then forwarded to the throttle valve. This results in a better response. Furthermore, a special equipment can be ordered, in which the driver can choose between five driving modes ("Rain", "Road", "Dynamic," Enduro "and" Enduro Pro ") for a better adaptation to the driving behavior and the route. The chassis is geared to the additional modes.
To achieve an optimal stability at the BMW R 1200 GS, a continuous tubular steel bridge frame with a bolted rear frame was implemented, as well as an improved telelever in the front and EVO paralever in the rear.
For the optimization of traction provides the extended swingarm.
For the tires, the BMW designers rely on the dimensions 120/70 R19 in the front und 170/60 R17 in the rear.
An improved safety is achieved by radial monobloc brake calipers by brembo was mounted in the front and a larger brake disc in the rear. In addition is this GS-model also equipped with a standard BMW Motorrad ABS.
Likewise, in terms of security, the 12GS is equipped with a LED main headlight. Who doesn't want to give up an additional daytime running lights, can order this as optional equipment ex works.
The electrical system is equipped with the CAN-bus (Controller Area Network) and LIN-bus technology (Local Interconnect Network), as in the K 1600 models. The central vehicle electronics was separated in two control units.
A Multi-Controller is additionally mounted on the inner side of the left handlebar grip for an easier and safer use of the Navigator IV.
The adjustment of the windshield is now done simply by a lateral wheel, which can be operated with one hand. The seating position can also be adapted individually to the personal needs. The driver's seat is adjustable in height and inclination and the pillion seat in longitudinal position. The handlebar position can easily be increased.
The optional accessories contains among other things a high and low seat bench and an adjustable footrest system and foot controls.
Overall, a round package, which certainly offers a lot of nice travel experiences.
The highlights at a glance:
- Capacity 1170 cc
- rated output 92 kW (125 bhp) at 7700 rpm and a maximum torque of 125 Nm at 6500 rpm
- Cylinder heads with vertical through-flow
- air/water cooling with a glycol-water mixture
- Basic engine with rigidity-optimized crankshaft
- perpendicularly separated case in open deck construction
- 6-speed gearbox including wet clutch with anti-hopping function
- novel intake system with 52 mm throttle valve diameter
- exhaust gas system with electronically exhaust flap
- different modes ‚ÄúRain‚ÄĚ, ‚ÄúRoad‚ÄĚ, ‚ÄúDynamic‚ÄĚ, ‚ÄúEnduro‚ÄĚ and ‚ÄúEnduro Pro‚ÄĚ with three various electromotive throttle actuator settings in conjunction with ASC (Automatic Stability Control), ABS and ASC settings for off-road and different mode-specific Dynamic ESA settings (option ex works)
- suspension with torsionally stiff tubular steel bridge frame and bolt-on rear frame
- improved lightweight cardan shaft drive on the left side
- improved Telelever at front and EVO Paralever at rear
- long swingarm for optimal traction
- modification of seating position and comfort with adjustable driver's seat and pillion seat
- new Tire/wheel sizes of 120/70 R19 at front and 170/60 R17 at rear
- reworked BMW Motorrad brake system with radially mounted Brembo Monobloc brake calipers at front and 2-piston floating caliper with magnified brake disc at rear (√ė 276mm, previously 265mm).
- standard BMW Motorrad Integral ABS
- reworked vehicle electrical system with modified subdivision
- enhanced electric switch units
- Windshield with lateral adjustment wheel
- easily removable number plate carriers
- Increased ground clearance (+ 8 mm)
- improved instrument combination with standard on-board computer
- paint finishes: Alpine White, Racing Red, Blue Fire and Thunder Grey Metallic
Option ex works:
- Semi active suspension Dynamic ESA
- improved main headlight with LED daytime running light
- motorcycle with LED main headlight and integrated daytime running light
- electronic cruise control
- Multi-Controller for easier operating of the Navigator IV
- PRO on-board computer
- and much more... Back to news